Inquisitive Minds Workshops provide a time and cost effective way for schools to provide quality, fun maths activities for their students.
All Workshops are designed and coordinated by Debbie Smith, a qualified and experienced specialist Mathematics teacher and presented in partnership with MANSW (The Mathematical Association of NSW).
Out Of The Box Workshops
Years 3 - 6
Experience Maths as you have never seen it before....
Engage with maths activities and brain teasers which demonstrate the value of approaching problems strategically.
Learn a range of problem solving strategies in an interactive mini-lesson.
Select and apply appropriate problem solving strategies as they participate in a hands-on Maths Relay.
Inquisitive Minds will:
Demonstrate the need to read and interpret problems before attempting to solve them.
Model a range of problem solving strategies.
Reinforce the need to double check answers.
Teachers will experience on the job professional learning in the following areas:
Fun, Worthwhile, Engaging Maths!!
- There are two different workshops for Stage 2 and two different Workshops for Stage 3 - enabling students to participate in a unique Workshop each year from 3 to 6!
- Stage 2 focus: Logical reasoning and Newman's Error Analysis.
- Stage 2 alternate year focus: Drawing Diagrams, Making Models, Literacy of Maths.
- Stage 3 focus: Newman's Error Analysis, Logical Reasoning and Working Backwards.
- Stage 3 alternate year focus: Look for a Pattern and Draw a Diagram.
- The ideal Workshop size is 60 to 90 students.
- The timing of Workshops will be adjusted to the needs of your school.
- Schools may choose to run one, two or three Workshops in one day. (Full or part day bookings available.)
- Inquisitive Minds supply four team members to coordinate Primary Workshops.
- Schools are required to provide extra teachers and parent helpers to ensure that students receive as much attention as possible throughout the Workshop.
- After school Professional Learning available to schools who run a full day booking.
- Minds in Motion session available to students participating in a full day OOTB Workshop.
Expression of Interest - Request an In-School Workshop (OOTB)